Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Table scraps

So, after a bit of a hiatus from this story i've decided to call it quits.

The story was spawned from my depression in my final semester of school and desperately wanting out. It's about realizing that something wasn't for me and how that's alright because there's a million other things to do in life. It was nice and positive for a change.

I think, overall, while I liked the story overall and I was happy with some of the experimentation with the writing I did in the thumbnail stage. I have been trying to think of the juxtaposition of words and images differently as well as paying more attention to pacing.

I think I learned a lot from sitting down and writing this but I am simply not enjoying finishing it. I've been trying to make my autobio stories a bit more universal, so that people who don't know me might be able to get something out of these stories but I feel like the story itself wasn't universal enough to be interesting to anyone besides me.

Also, the art was going in a direction that I am tired of.

In any case it's sad to see a few days of hard work go down the toilet. I think, overall, it's for the greater good.

This means that the actual mini I'm planning on putting out with these stories will be delayed by a while. I'm thinking of making it a bit longer than I had originally anticipated. I want to replace a couple of the stories I'm unhappy with with a couple stories I will be proud to publish.

Also, I'm considering making it a series of autobio mini comics so I would have a place to publish them. I don't know though, just thinking.

Whatever, I'll let you know when I figure it out.

3 comments:

Edward Lillywhite said...

I think it communicates effectively. But I don't know the whole story;
in my opinion it is the emotions that are universal and communicative.


Keep rockin.



Ed

Lynn Sibley said...

I like it. And I think you're downplaying the universality of the sentiment. If that makes sense. But while you were on the extreme end of I don't want to do this, I know myself and many other people in whatever program going, ok, maybe this is for me?
The pacing and flow of the part you did is also working really well. Your comics have become very readable, which means the story is really coming across. Nice stuff!

Corby said...

I'm a fan. And maybe this sounds a little idealistic, but just write the story for yourself, and see how others respond. Just please don't stop doing comics.