Friday, July 30, 2010

About face

Yesterday I started doing caricatures at a theme park full time again.


I draw myself a lot at the park. When it’s quiet it’s a nice way to practice and you can really start experimenting with it and try to come up with something new.


Drawing myself is especially interesting to me since I draw autobiographic comics. I feel like more and more my cartoon persona from my comics looks less and less like me as I go for the more iconic and simple to draw shapes that I like making. The truth is, I really enjoy the abstraction… but I think I need to work towards something that’s still abstract but also representational.


I drew this at work yesterday while trying to get used to using the markers again. Generally I have a real problem getting a decent likeness on myself. I do, however, hope this represents what I actually look like (even if that is a junkie).


Oh, and incase anybody was wondering why it was missing; I had to shave my beard off for this job. Stupid dress code.


Love <3

4 comments:

Tooninator said...

good luck at he park again. Too bad you weren't there a week ago when I visited with my gf.

I actually find your cartoons are more you than this. Keep fighting the good fight though.

Matt said...

Very cool. It must be nice to have a job where you can practice your skills, even if it's not exactly what you want to be drawing.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Toon about the likenesses of you in your comics.

(Third Matt in a row :P)

Jason Bradshaw said...

Thanks guys, that's actually really awesome to hear. I always think the cartoon me I draw is completely unlike me... guess I'm wrong!

It's a shame you're not in the T-dot area Toon, such a positive energy to have around!

and yes, Matt (2!), it's pretty nice to practice there. I've learned a lot from doing it, I highly recommend it to anyone who has the opportunity!