Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Comics are the single most fulfilling thing I've ever done in my life

Canzine 2009 was the first time I ever tabled and sold my comics. Since then it has become a bit of a benchmark for me, both as a deadline to get more comics done, as well as a marker to show what I’ve accomplished over the past year. And so, this year? All I can really say is that it has been far beyond my expectations.

Aside from all of the friends I have been making over the past couple of years and the growing dedicated reader base I am utterly privileged to have(thank you so much!) Some things really stand out for me, such as Boredom Pays #2 getting nominated for a freaking Shuster - that blew me away and I seriously didn’t think I was ready for that kind of acknowledgment. Getting to table at TCAF this past year - important in that I first discovered mini comics through TCAF and, in the following year, actually traded my very own mini comics for the first time - that meant the world to me. And this past Sunday one of my comics heroes, Chester Brown, came by my table and bought some of my comics - that just felt… unreal.

These tangible, quantifiable benchmarks continue to amaze me. The thing that’s a little harder to put my finger on is the amount of healing making these things allow me to do. Like, my personal life this year was a wreck. I broke up with my girlfriend of eight years. My mother discovered she has a potentially life threatening brain tumor. I’ve been unemployed for five out of the last ten months. I’ve been on social assistance. I’ve made some really stupid decisions that have hurt people I care about. I’ve gone through the most debilitating bouts of depression I’ve ever had the misfortune to deal with. And so on. What held me together through the worst of this was this compulsion I have to put it down in writing. To analyze these things, organize them into little boxes so I can move past them. This is something I never used to have and I don’t know what I would have done without it this year.

I’m incredibly glad I started making comics. It has been the single most fulfilling thing I’ve ever done in my life.

I can’t wait to see what comics are going to bring me in the following year.

love, love,

Jason <3

5 comments:

Matt said...

Just so you know, your comics have meant a lot to me, too. To see/read about someone going through a lot of the same feelings and situations that I struggle with as well, it's been very comforting. I hope comics bring you even more happiness in the future.

And, dude... Chester Brown?! That's amazing!!

Jason Bradshaw said...

Thanks, Matt! I'm so glad you've gotten something out of these comics. It's so good to know other people feel these things, too, and I'm not completely alone in how I deal with the world.

I really hope we can meet in person someday - you've been super supportive of me for the longest time ever!

orange is the new "i love you" said...

dude, that's so cool that Chester Brown bought some of your comics! man!

and i agree with Matt there- reading along with what you're going through has been awesome, as i've experienced a lot of emotional messes, too. majour thanks for sharing so much with the internet, it's been an awesome read, and i always look forward to reading more of your comics.

sam said...

yea man your comics were always great, but they definitely keep getting better and better! I know it kills you, but I can't wait to see more vector stuff! You're the master at illustrator. And sheesh! chester brown?! nice man!

sundersartwork said...

Good luck. I am not suprised you have won an award. You are very skilled. And your comics are uplifting.