Thursday, June 07, 2012

Idle Thoughts - Destruction


Over the last couple of weeks I experienced the first real depressive period I’ve had since December. It was kind of scary to go back to some of those places that I’ve been trying really hard to leave behind but the fact that I’ve been able to notice that I’m feeling depressed and analyze it objectively rather than not being able to tell because I just feel depressed all the time was comforting in its own way.

Some people think that these Idle Thoughts comics are sad. And, sure, a couple of them from the past couple of weeks are but they’re mostly just designed to be intentionally vague to make them as relatable as possible (which, to be clear, is apparently working because I have a good 250 followers that I didn’t have two weeks ago – hello and welcome!). A lot of them are positive, to me, but I haven’t felt the need to express that as I think it’s more interesting for the reader to make up their own mind about what this or that strip means.

This strip, for example, is incredibly positive to me. I feel as though I’m at a point in my life where I am finally coming into my own and figuring out the kind of person I want to be, who that is and what I want to do with my life. There are some personal boundaries that I need to overcome to be able to become that person – and I’m trying – but that doesn’t mean I’m tearing myself down as much as it does acknowledging the things about myself that I would like to change. It’s about growth. Progress. Fulfillment. Positive things.

But now I’ve gone and explained it all away.

This past weekend I spent some meaningful time with someone I adore which was really helpful for shaking off all of the negative things I was feeling. My life, too, has calmed down quite a bit. I’ve been feeling happy.

I’m trying to figure out ways to meet more people and establish meaningful relationships with those wonderful people I don’t yet know.

I’m going to spend so much time riding my bike and exploring the backstreets of this town this summer.

I want to discover and digest new ideas that make me reconsider everything I know.

I’m starting to think seriously about making comics again.

I’m excited to be excited.

I’m genuinely alright

<3

3 comments:

Ollie said...

Turtle your comics are nothing but the truth. And,at least for me, have always found your comics relatable, they are about humanity, thoughts and stuff, and as being a human myself i like it. these kinds of thoughts come to us at, at some point in our lives, to be honest i am kinda there right now. Thanks Jason, you make me want to be a better human being, i cant think of a better compilment.... well i could kiss ya..... or not.

Jason Bradshaw said...

Aw, thank you so much for the kind words, dude, I really appreciate this coming from you.

Next time you see me lay one on me ;)

Matt said...

250 more followers in 2 weeks?! That's more than I have total (although you're a much more consistent and frequent poster than I am... but I'm trying to be better about that). You deserve each and every one of them and I'm sure your generosity at TCAF is a big factor in all your new readers.

I agree that what draws me to your comics is primarily the honesty of your work (I do love your drawing styles, though). There are few artists out there willing to be so open and raw about their feelings and it makes your comics so unique and valuable. I find myself, in my work, trying to reach up to the bar that you've set.

Keep doing what you're doing because it's beautiful.