Monday, September 13, 2010

Mutie

Last weekend I sat down and read a bunch of X-Men comics from the Essential X men volume 1 collection. It was pretty nostalgic for me even though these comics were way before my time as a kid(I mostly read X-Men comics from the 90's, these were from the 70's) but I was surprised by how incredibly boring they were.

Perhaps, as I have grown older I have simply lost my appreciation for mindless action and super heroics. Or, perhaps, they were just particularly boring comics. I don't know.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Agreed. I've found that as I get more and more into "alternative" and "indie" comics, I tend to enjoy "mainstream" superhero comics less and less. I understand that the writers are constrained by a need to throw in action sequences and write towards the lowest common denominator but, in my opinion, they're just not that interesting. I picked up a Wolverine/Nightcrawler story recently and I enjoyed it a lot but, tellingly, there wasn't an action sequence in the whole book; it was an exploration of their friendship and differing religious beliefs. Sharp stuff for a guys-in-tights book.

By the way, my favorite X-Man was Chamber. What better character for a loser teenager to identify with than a sullen Brit with his chest blown out by psychic energy? And that Bachalo art was aces!

Jason Bradshaw said...

Oh man, I actually really love the first pile of issues of Generation X. it's so much more about growing up than about fighting bad guys which is just so much more interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the super power stuff and there's a part of me that still really loves it but there's got to be something behind it otherwise it just falls flat.

I particularly liked Demo from Brian Wood and Becky Cloonan. It's taking the same idea as Generation X(as Brian wood was a writer on it) but trying to tell real stories about these kids. I dunno, interesting stuff.

Anonymous said...

You and me both man!